WELCOME TO OUR WEB SITE!
The Mary Ball Washington Museum and Library has been serving the families of, and visitors to, Lancaster County and Virginia's Northern Neck since 1958. We invite you to enjoy and use this web site to learn more about our past and become part of our present and future.
To discover, collect, preserve, understand and interpret the history of Lancaster and surrounding counties of the Commonwealth of Virginia for the enjoyment and educational benefit of all residents, succeeding generations and visitors to the area.
We are located at 8346 Mary Ball Road (Route 3) in the heart of Lancaster's historic court house village, 7 miles NW of Kilmarnock and 25 miles SE of Warsaw. Driving directions are available to help you find your way.
Appointments are not required for individual visitors or researchers. However, as a volunteer organization, our regular schedule may be subject to changes and we welcome you to call to confirm your planned visit. Other museum and library hours may also be available by appointment. Group visits should be arranged in advance.
Check the "Annoucements" sections at the top of this page and the Genealogy & History Library page for current hours of operation.
- $5 admission to the museum buildings and grounds.
- Free admission to MBWM&L Members (excludes some special events). Join MBWM.
GENEALOGY & HISTORY LIBRARY:
- $5 Library use fee per day.
- Free entrance to MBWM&L Members. Join MBWM.
GENEALOGY & HISTORY LIBRARY ONLINE RESEARCH TOOLS
- Card Catalog: Searchable, online card catalog of books and research materials located in our Library.
- Lancaster County Estate Records 1835-1865 Database: Searchable, abstracted data from Lancaster County Estate Books from 1835 to 1865, with genealogical and historical information about decedents, beneficiaries, spouses, slaves, and more.